The VNA bought the Whitney property for $150,000 with a grant from the Metropolitan Detroit Building Fund in 1957. Another $75,000 from the McGregor Fund, the non-public basis began by Katherine Whitney and her husband, Tracy McGregor, in 1925. The nurses, with workplaces all through the home, continued to take care of the mansion until 1979, when it was bought to entrepreneur Richard Kughn. Kughn learned that the mansion would doubtless be torn down after the Visiting Nurse Association left. “It ought to be preserved, not for personal use but so that the general public can see and enjoy it,” he mentioned. To the left of the entry, along Woodward, are the reception and drawing rooms.

Leave a Reply